Click here to enlarge
Cuisine Style: Kerala, Cooking Time: 25 minutes, To Serve: 2, Take with: Mutta Curry / Chutny Curry, Type: Breakfast
- Raw rice (Pacharisi) - 2 cups
- Urad dall-1/4 cup
- Boiled rice - 1cup
- Coconut Milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - As reqd
- Water - 1cup
- Soak raw rice and Urad dall for 4 hours.
- Put soaked rice and urad dall in a mixer and grind till smooth paste.
- Add Coconut milk, salt and sugar.
- Mix well by your hand (wash hand).
- Keep the mixture closed to ferment for 7 hours in a warm place. (Add warm water in case cold climate).
- Heat the Appa Chatti (Cast iron pan with deep bottom).
- Wipe the vessel with oiled cloth.
- Pour the appam mixture.
- Lift off the stove and swirl the vessel.
- Pour oil round the appam.
- Close with lid for 5 minutes.
- Gently remove the appam from the vessel.
- Serve hot.
- This can be prepared without Urad dall. (This way traditional vellappam is prepared)
- Mix Jaggery to get Sweet Appam. Coconut chutny is the best side dish for Sweet Appam.
How this Vellappam recipe is Unique?
- Centre of this this Vellappam is puffy because of Urad dall. The look and taste is so good